Lesley University is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all its members, while respecting the individual rights of all members. This policy is intended to protect all persons from exposure to second-hand smoke and the effects of tobacco smoke.
Consistent with these goals, and in the support of the Massachusetts Public Laws regarding smoking, the following policy has been established.
Smoking is prohibited in all Lesley University indoor facilities and vehicles.
This includes, without limitation:
All indoor space:
- Private faculty and administrative offices
- Common work areas
- Classrooms & labs
- Conference and meeting rooms
- Art studios & art galleries
- Fitness facilities
- Residence halls
- Storage closets
- Kitchens & cafeterias
- Parking garages/lots
- Commercial and residential leased spaces
Smoking is prohibited at all times in shuttle buses, escort vans, University Plant and Public Safety vehicles of all types.
Smoking is prohibited in all outdoor locations except for those spaces designated as smoking areas. These areas may be modified from time to time.
There are 4 designated smoking areas located throughout the university campuses. These locations were selected to protect the safety of smokers, to ensure that smoke does not filter into buildings, to protect neighboring properties and neighbors from second-hand smoke and to provide access to designated smoking areas for smokers at each campus.
Since our campuses are unique in their design and neighborhood relationships, the size and condition of the spaces vary based on available space.
The university requests that all smokers using designated smoking areas and city sidewalks properly extinguish and discard cigarettes so as to not litter the surrounding areas.
The designated smoking locations are:
- Brattle Campus: No smoking allowed on the entire campus.
- Doble Campus (Quad): There are 2 designated smoking areas.
- At the foot of the steps (to the left on the Doble side of the Quad) on Mellen Street directly below the Quad.
- Behind 11 Mellen Street and 16-18 Wendell Street on the brick patio near the fence.
- Porter Campus: There are 2 designated smoking areas.
- To the right of the back door (when entering the building) of University Hall near the loading dock area, but under the cover and;
- To the right of the front door (when entering) at 815 Somerville Avenue.