A biogeochemist by training, Dr. Shoemaker’s work has involved studying Earth’s biological systems using geochemical approaches. Her research focuses on understanding and predicting methane emissions from wetlands and forests and their impact on global climate. Her areas of academic expertise include: earth science, climate change, and carbon and methane biogeochemistry. She holds a PhD in Biology from Harvard.
- Shoemaker, J.K., Keenan, T., Hollinger, D., Richardson, A.D. Environmental Controls over landscape-scale methane emissions from Howland Forest. GRL March, 2014
- Shoemaker, J.K., Schrag, D.P., Molina, M.J., Ramanathan, V. What role for short-lived climate pollutants in climate mitigation policy.” Science 13 December 2013: 342 (6164), 1323-1324.
- Shoemaker, J.K. and Schrag, D.P. The Danger of Overvaluing Methane’s Future Influence on Climate Change. Climatic Change 120 (4), 903-914.
- Shoemaker, J.K., Varner R.K., Crill, P.M., Schrag, D.P. 2012. Characterization of subsurface methane production and release over three years at a New Hampshire wetland: Seasonal, spatial, and annual variability. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.91, 120-139.
- Shoemaker, J.K. and Schrag, D.P. 2010. Subsurface characterization of methane production and release from a New Hampshire wetland. Geobiology 8, 234-243.
- Neumann, Ashfaque, Badruzzaman, Ali, Shoemaker, and Harvey. 2010. Anthropogenic influences on groundwater arsenic concentrations in Bangladesh. Nature Geoscience 3, 46-52.
- House, K.Z. and Shoemaker, J.K. 2008. Double take: To bury or not to bury CO2. Discovery News.
- Dec 2013: AGU Fall Mtg: “"Environmental Drivers of Whole-Ecosystem Methane Fluxes from a Lowland Evergreen Forest".
- Oct 2013: BU Terrestrial Biogeochemistry seminar series: “Seasonal and inter-annual forest methane flux dynamics: A source-sink transition and the problem of predictability
- June 2009: Goldschmidt Conference. “Does oxic metabolism control substrate availability for terrestrial methanogenesis?”
- August 2008: Gordon Research Conference. “Does oxic metabolism control substrate availability for aceticlastic methanogenesis?”
- May 2007: MIT E34 Seminar: “Peering through the peat: Calculating rates of methane production and oxidation from a terrestrial wetland… among other places.”
- December 2011: AGU fall meeting. “Does Methanogenesis Require Oxygen?”
- December 2006: AGU fall meeting. “Calculating in situ rates of methane production and oxidation from a New Hampshire Fen.”