Ceremony marks a key milestone in the new Lesley University College of Art and Design complex.
Tuesday, August 05, 2014
A new four-story terra cotta and glass building will house art galleries and studio and art-making spaces for the College of Art and Design, a project that was designed by Bruner/Cott & Associates architects in Cambridge, Mass.
Named for Lesley Class of 1959 alumna Paula Lunder and her husband, Peter, major donors for the project, this complex provides the new home of the Lesley University College of Art and Design, and will support myriad interdisciplinary arts-integrative curricula.
The Lunder Arts Center will be an academic and artistic nexus for Cambridge’s Porter Square neighborhood communities.
The new building will be connected via a three-story glass entry commons to the historic, circa-1845 North Prospect Church, which was moved 100 feet to the south side of the lot and closer to the avenue in December 2013 to give the building more prominence and allow for a lower level under the complete construction site. Originally located in Harvard Square, draft horses hauled the church to Porter Square in 1867.
The former church will house an arts library and design studios. The galleries and library will be open to the public. The 70,000-square-foot complex, which will be certified LEED Silver, is projected to open for the spring semester, January 2015.
University Wins Preservation Award for Lunder Arts Center Project
Commencement 2015Lesley Poet Wins Guggenheim FellowshipShedding Light on Peru’s Transgender Community
View all News
John SullivanDirector of Communications617.email@example.com
Amanda McGregorCommunications ManagerPhone: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lesley UniversityOffice of Communications29 Everett StreetCambridge, MA 02138Phone: 617.349.8579Fax: 617.349.8522Email