Your Benefits as an Active Literacy Collaborative School
Your school's affiliation fee includes support in the following areas.
Annual Professional Development
Literacy Collaborative refines its approaches through research and development. Literacy coaches receive ongoing training and guidance on coaching and professional development. You collaborate with with literacy coaches in other schools and districts.
- Included in your affiliation fee are 5 days of annual ongoing professional development at Lesley University.
- We encourage school principals to join their coach(es) for the first 2 days of ongoing training. Principals benefit from the content study and engage in designed leadership issues.
Upcoming Ongoing Professional Development Dates
- Primary, Grades K–2: November 13–17, 2017
- Intermediate/Middle, Grades 3–8: November 5–9, 2018
- District Training: January 9–13, 2017
Faculty Liaison Support
Faculty liaisons provide you with ongoing consultation through Literacy Collaborative.
- Beginning of the school year: Your liaison will send you and your principal a welcome letter. Upon request, your liaison will arrange a phone call about implementing goals and providing support for the school year.
- Team Meeting: Upon request, your liaison will arrange a time to speak with your school literacy team, literacy coach, and principal about team goals. We will also discuss strengths and challenges in your implementation.
- Ongoing consultations and support: You and your principal may contact your faculty liaison with questions or requests:
- Suggestions and resources on training
- Supporter for working with teachers
- Struggling students
- Data analysis
- Parent involvement
- Areas that support implementation
Communication and Information
Twice a year, we produce an electronic newsletter called The Mailbox for active schools. Topics include:
- Refinement to instructional practices, based on the results of ongoing research and evaluation
- Links to coaching and professional articles
- Professional development opportunities
- Recent classroom literature titles
- Special features to share with classroom teachers, teams, and administrators
Ongoing Research Support
Literacy Collaborative is a research-based instructional practice. Lesley University and The Ohio State University are university training centers. We have ongoing programs of research to monitor the effectiveness of Literacy Collaborative. We also identify areas for program development. This research helps faculty and staff create the best professional development and to incorporate new research into the model. Researchers study schools using the model and contract with research firms to conduct outside evaluations.
Data Analysis Support
A critical element of this work is data-driven school improvement. All schools collect and analyze data to monitor student progress and identify actions for improvement. Our research team provides your school with ongoing assistance:
- interpreting and presenting external and internal data
- gathering new data necessary to make sound decisions
- using data for formative assessment and program evaluation
Our research team creates research and program evaluation tools. These help leadership teams gather and interpret information about students and teachers.
No-Fee School Walk-through with Lesley Faculty Liaison
1 per school, only travel costs will be billed to school
Once your school is fully implemented in year 4 and beyond, you can request a walk-through where your faculty liaison accompanies you and your school administrator. During the visit, they will:
- see changes you've made or are still needed in a classroom set up
- teaching of elements of the language and literacy framework
- engagement of student with literacy learning
- meet with school leaderships team to learn about progress and challenges, relating to implementation and student achievement
- share observations with your school's team
We can schedule additional consultation days on a per diem basis, depending on availability.
Publications to Support Implementation
We provide access to two publications that support implementation:
- Help Your Child Learn at Home: A Parent’s Guide, English or Spanish
- A Literacy Leadership Guide: Developing and Sustaining Comprehensive Literacy Learning
We give copies of these to coaches and principals during your initial literacy coach training. You may purchase additional copies at a discounted rate.
Literacy Collaborative Network Discount
Effective from July 1, 2017 to June 1, 2018, we will continue to offer a 10% discount on many of our Center's professional development offerings.
- Educators who work in a school that is implementing the Literacy Collaborative whole-school reform model
- Literacy Collaborative District Trainers
Terms and Conditions
- The discount is for educators in active, Literacy Collaborative schools and District Trainers in active, Literacy Collaborative districts
- The school's Literacy Collaborative affiliation fee must have been paid in full and are in good standing
- The discount can only be used toward the base price of our noncredit offerings, and not toward any required books and materials
- When you register for one of our events, you will be asked to provide the name of your Literacy Collaborative literacy coach
- Once your school's Literacy Collaborative status has been verified, we'll apply the 10% discount to your registration record
- It is the responsibility of the registrant to notify us of your eligibility for this discount at the time of registration
Eligible Professional Development Offerings
The Literacy Collaborative Network Discount may be applied to these professional development offerings within the Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative here at Lesley University.
Offering Base Price Discounted Price Guided Reading K–2 $795 $715 Guided Reading 3–8 $795 $715 Phonics K–3 $795 $715 Word Study 3–8 $795 $715 Summer Literacy Institute, K–6 $795 $715 School Leaders Seminar, K–6 $1,950 $1,755 Leveled Literacy Intervention K–2 $1,950 $1,755 Leveled Literacy Intervention 3–12 $1,950 $1,755 The Effective Literacy Coach $2,950 $2,655
To register for any of these events with the Literacy Collaborative Discount, please contact us at 617.349.8424 or email@example.com